Thursday, July 16, 2015

Working together toward one goal

I spent an afternoon teaching a group of nurses and midwives from MIDSON.  My topic was Birth Positioning and Respectful Maternity Care.  It was a group of between 20-25 women with a huge diversity in background who are very passionate about women’s issues and particularly in respect to reproductive health.

I felt that tying in something we (midwives in developed countries) often take for granted – movement in labor and birth and the encouragement to be in different positions as safe practice- would be the perfect way to pave the way to reviewing certain complications and also in discussing the rights of women in childbirth to have autonomy and respect.  It was fascinating and we all came away more knowledgeable and determined.

The program was a success and great fun for all of us.  It is so inspiring to be around other women who share my commitment and it is always humbling to connect with women from other cultures and to realize that we are truly one.





I had invited Karen Hays to join me. She is a CNM from Seattle who happens to be in Kathmandu for a couple of weeks visiting dear friends. She and I made a connection just before I left for Nepal and it seems we have had parallel lives with the work we are trying to accomplish and our visions.  Meeting her in person has been very inspirational and I am astounded at how alike we are in so many ways.  I have to admit I am a little jealous as her resume is impressive and her experiences working in developing worlds and in disaster situations is what I dream of.

It seems Karen and I have many different connections and it is interesting that we haven’t actually met until now – and we are meeting in Kathmandu! Even the connections with MIDSON and the Global Orphan Prevention have been serendipitous as one of the founders of Midwife Pilgrim’s daughter-in-law happens to be friends with the founder of GOP and wanted us to connect – but the connection had already been made with another director.  I had the chance to meet with them (including Katie, the founder) the other day and really discuss the work we are doing and ways to move forward.  I will be meeting with them again on Sunday and hopefully have a joint meeting with MIDSON before I leave Monday night.


As I am discovering time and time again, when your intentions are pure and the work is important everything will work out.  Even being here was clearly part of the path we are meant to be on as I had committed to be in Sierra Leone teaching Community Health Workers maternity skills within the Ebola climate. Never would I have imagined that I would be spending July in Nepal instead.


The connections I am making are invaluable to Pilgrim's mission.  The lessons I am learning are necessary to go forward in a more solid way.  Those I am meeting inspire me and hearing their stories of not having a clue how to proceed but knowing there was a need and just jumping in and doing it gives me great hope when I am feeling overwhelmed.  It is a necessary reminder that even one person can facilitate great change and do good in this world.



No comments:

Post a Comment